Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Thanks to the Firestorm 2007 Volunteers

It's rare when someone comes in contact with a total stranger and feels an instant bond. Here's how it happened to us.

First, THANK YOU Kent, and all the other angels for your support and personal sacrifices!

Deinna & Lou received this email from one who volunteered.















Hello Lou,

My name is Kent Delperdang and I was one of the individuals asked to set up the donation collection and distribution site in the A3 section of the Qualcomm parking lot. I am the guy in the yellow hat in the picture on your blog.

First I want to thank you for posting this picture! I was called at 10:40 pm and asked to drive from central California to help with this project. I just threw a few things in the car and hit the road as it is a 5-6 hour drive depending on traffic and I did not bring any camera or video equipment. Your picture captures the very beginning of our efforts. (The trash truck was dead and in a bad spot - a detail I would have forgotten without your picture.)

While this week has been an exhausting and grueling experience it has also been one of the most rewarding of my life. It was a blessing to work with so many dedicated volunteers and to see the over-whelming generosity of the people of San Diego. Knowing that we were helping people be as comfortable as possible made all the hard work simply enjoyable. I hope there is never another crisis that requires this effort but I would volunteer in a heartbeat if the need arises again.

I am hoping you may have other pictures you would be willing to share with me from this part of the Qualcomm relief efforts. I plan to contact someone who should have pictures from Thursday but many of the wonderful volunteers that I worked beside on Tuesday and Wednesday were gone by then.

Again, I appreciate the picture you posted and wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Kent Delperdang

No comments: